Twilight was especially hard to watch for a plethora of reasons. My childhood fear of vampires being the very least of them. It was a love story. I'm not especially fond of chick flicks, and I never have been. I'm not sure if I got burned out at a young age, or if I don't like the unrealistic gooeyness of it all. Hmm...
It was hard to watch the main characters dance together, and play in the forest. It was especially difficult to watch Bella fall asleep on Edward's chest. It was even more excruciatingly difficult to hear her ask him:
Do you swear you won’t leave me?
Bella Swan, Twilight, Chapter 24, p.471
What right does anyone have to ask that question when tomorrow is no guarantee? What if one's loved one is in a car wreck, or horribly sick in the hospital, or even in the U.S. Army? This is not the type of question that people ask, and yet his answer is the guarantee that everyone is longing to hear. It is not real. And yet, an immortal love is...
Jesus is for the real people. The people that do not have their life written out on a script. I do not say this in bitterness. I say that Jesus is for the real people, because it offers hope. It offers hope for the people who are in pain, confused, lonely, lost, suffering, thirsty, hungry, seeking. It offers hope for you. He offers hope for me. Christ offers hope for us. Jesus is for the real people. So bring your longings for the future. Bring your buckets of tears. Bring those hollywood scripts that never satisfy you. Bring your angry words and bitterness. Bring your hopes for love immortal.
He is big enough. He can satisfy. His love will never fail.
1 comment:
people sometimes ask, 'what are your goals... you know, where do you want to be in 5, 10, 20 years?' as a christian, i find that particularly strange to ask. i have no idea what God will do with me 5 years from now! i'm not doing now what i set out 10 years ago to do. God seems to have changed that and i'm having to let go of dreams that seem to have vanished. but what i do know is that wherever Jesus takes me, He will be there. but we can't put that kind of burden on any human, not even our soulmates.
Post a Comment