Wednesday, April 29, 2009

love letters

     I got a letter today from a dear friend.  It made me smile so very much!  It will probably be the last (non-junk mail) letter that I get at this address.  Written word/writing has always been something I have very much treasured.  So often, I have begged Scott to write me and returned from the mailbox empty-handed.  Writing does not come easy for my husband.  
     I think sometimes that God asks us to love each other in ways that are specifically difficult for us so that we learn to grow.  An example for me would be attempting to sleep late (when Scott and I are living together).  I absolutely cannot stand to be in bed once I am awake.  I feel like I am missing the day, and I am usually very excited to be awake.  Scott loves to sleep late and it takes him a while to get going in the mornings.  By nature, Scott does not like to write.  By nature, I am a morning person.  But together, we are learning to love.  :)  It is not that easy fairy-tale love that you hear about.  It is that sacrificial giving up part of yourself for the sake of another.  It reminds me a lot of Jesus.  
     See, a sacrifice isn't a sacrifice unless it is good.  Being awake in the mornings is good, God also does not have a problem with not writing letters.  Either choice, in and of itself, is not a sin.  When people say that they are making a sacrifice to give up bad eating habits, drinking, smoking, sexual immorality, __________ (insert sin here).  It isn't really a sacrifice, because the person would actually be much better off without it.  If Jesus had been a regular old sinner and died, it would not have been a pure sacrifice.  That is why His death on the cross was such a big deal (changed my life, and so many others).  I John 4:19 says, 
We love because He first loved us.
     How cool is it that we have been taught to love in such a pure and holy manner, that we would lay down something, that was not bad, as a sacrifice for another?  If our love is to reflect that of how Christ loves the church, we have a lot more sacrifices to make a lot more growing to do.  This is exciting to me!  Growth is not always easy, but it is good!  I am going to practice sleeping in so I will be better at it when I get to MO, and maybe I'll get some mail tomorrow (even if it is just an email).  ;)  May we learn to love one another better, to His glory.  And may we always love Him first.  

1 comment:

Anni said...

i think that God puts together early-risers and late-sleepers. ha!
we are called to sacrifice in a variety of ways... and most of them involve us submitting our will to that of another. and like you say, it's not really big things, but just not 'getting our way.' parents know this especially... because i'm sure that no parent wants to watch that same movie 20-thousand times! but because of love, they do. and that's just one example.
so you're right on target, my sweet friend. and we also sacrifice our desires at times, too... seems you are there.