"In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said, 'it is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35
I just saw a man with a cardboard sign and gave him some money and the powerbar I had packed for supper. He could not possibly have gotten that powerbar open fast enough and then he was cramming it in his mouth. I really wished I had not just finished eating a cup of fruit so that I would have had more to give. Friends, we really must show compassion to those less fortunate.
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." 1 John 3:18
I don't know what hungry is. When I sleep in a tent, it is because I'm vacationing, not because I do not have a home to live in. I feed (multiple times daily) myself, my husband, rabbit and our 2 dogs. Sometimes finances are not easy but I have ALWAYS been able to feed my family.
Who am I to judge between who is truly homeless and who is not? What if I'm wrong? It has been a growing trend lately that a lot of folks begging are said to be not really homeless. But I don't think it's about that. I think it's about fear. And fear is not of the Lord. Fear that in this economy we have to save our every penny. Fear that the person will ask for more than we can give. Fear to show compassion. Friends, this MUST NOT BE!
"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18
2 comments:
God sends rain on the just and the unjust. I think it's a safe example to follow. :) I am putting a can of chili in the car right now so I'll be ready. Thanks for the reminder.
i like what you said "i'm not the one holding the sign, he is." nobody comes to the point of begging by taking an easy road.
Post a Comment