Cite: Special thanks to www.gotpetsonline.com for the photo. I volunteered at a TRAPS (Texas Recreation and Parks Society) conference this weekend. I was a room host and one of my speakers was talking about the "Hedgehog effect." Hedgehogs do not have a fancy defense system when being preyed on by foxes. They will ball up into a sphere of pins every time they are attacked. They do not care if there is a stump nearby to hide in, or if it is raining, regardless of conditions the hedgehog consistently defends itself in the same manner.
The hedgehog sees what is essential and ignores the rest. The speaker was trying to explain the importance of simplifying things. I think this is a concept that can apply to recreation, as well as other areas in life. In complicated relationships, be it with a spouse, parents, family, friends, co-workers or even acquaintances, I often try to analyze situations. "What does that mean?" "Was there something deeper behind a specific action?" My question is always "Why?" Prayerful pondering and a volunteer experience have helped me gain perspective. Much like the hedgehog, I need to simplify. I have gathered that in most situations, it is better for me to practice loving as a foremost goal. Instead of trying to dig to the heart of the problem and peer into a person's soul. It will save me a lot of worry and needless effort if I can simply love. God will take care of the rest. So this is my goal from here on out, to practice loving above all.
1 comment:
I feel like that is one of the biggest lessons I learned while I lived in San Marcos and you were a HUGE part of helping me understand what that looks like on an everyday level. LOVE YOU TONS!
Post a Comment