Saturday, July 31, 2010

His Mercy Reigns

Amazing grace
How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me
I once was lost, but now I'm found
Was blind, but now I see
'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed
My chains are gone
I've been set free
My God, my Savior has ransomed me
And like a flood His mercy reigns
Unending love, Amazing grace

The Lord has promised good to me
His word my hope secures
He will my shield and portion be
As long as life endures

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow
The sun forbear to shine
But God, Who called me here below
Will be forever mine
Will be forever mine
You are forever mine
Chris Tomlin, Amazing Grace



My mom-in-law is signing Amazing Grace, by Chris Tomlin at church on Sunday. She did a practice run for Scott and I last night; it was beyond moving. We were talking about the lyrics and signs after the song and she was sharing that the response she got out of most people was tears. I said that all people, being descendants of Adam and Eve are born into the bondage of sin and can therefore relate to the song on a personal level (a personal level that applies to the entire human race). Let that set in your heart for a minute.
We also talked about the line:
"and like a flood, His mercy reigns."

Mom-in-law said that the first time she saw this signed, it was illustrated as "rains" instead of "reigns." she continued to explain that often we think of ourselves as hard-working, or loving, or ____________ but the only reason we are blessed at all is because "His mercy reigns." Without His mercy, none of us would be able to be blessed at all because we have all sinned. I have a job as a therapist not because I studied hard and passed exams and did college and clinical hours and whatnot. I could very well be out doing a job that I do not nearly enjoy as much; however, I am blessed with my job because His mercy reigns. I am blessed with good health because His mercy reigns. I am blessed with people who love me in life because His mercy reigns. I am blessed with a roof over my head because His mercy reigns. I deserve none of this, but I live a blessed life because His mercy reigns.
I just wanted to encourage you to acknowledge areas of your life where His mercy reigns and give thanks. Love y'all!

No comments: