What does it mean to nonconform freely?
"There is another side of the freedom-slavery paradox. North Americans seem to have almost unlimited political, economic, and personal freedom. We live in the 'free world.' In fact North Americans believe they lead the way to liberty for everyone else. Yet we submit daily to brainwashing by commercial interests that must be equal to, if not more powerful than, the political posters and slogans of totalitarian governments." p53
"More with less means choosing limitations." p55
Life in our society in the United States is an abundance of choices. What to wear, drive, see, eat, listen to... etc. I have not often thought deliberately about choosing limitations; however, we used to sing this song in sunday school "Oh be careful little eyes what you see." In a society where every billboard distorts the truth of a woman's figure to sell generally everything, sometimes it seems it would be a healthy choice to choose limitations. I can choose to keep my eyes from false advertisements that lie about what women can realistically look like. I can choose to watch the road (if I'm driving) or gaze my eyes elsewhere. I can also choose to live more with less.
"Many simply grew up when 'Can we afford what we need? was the legitimate question, and aren't able to reverse their thinking to 'Do we need what we can afford?'" p53
Times have most absolutely changed.
"Even small groups within churches easily falter. Most of these are fine at carrying in meals after you have surgery but are less ready to caution you about buying too big a car." p58
Where are our priorities?
"Simple living is not our goal. Simple living is merely a means by which we can free ourselves and our resources for service to others in a world gone awry." p58
Here is an example of simplicity put into my tangible life. The other day, I had to return a library book. Instead of hopping in my car and zipping over to the store, my husband and I took our dogs and walked the 2 miles there and back with pups in tow. The trip took some time, but it was well cherished conversation with my love, and good exercise for both us and the dogs (not to mention, it saved us gas)!
2 comments:
yeah! i love that chapter :-) good stuff.
it's all about more meaning and enjoyment and less hurry and waste. choosing limitations is basically just like having priorities. it's a way to remind yourself of what really matters and what doesn't.
Post a Comment