Friday, April 1, 2011

gradually greener...

One of my dear friends is an environmental studies major. She has been encouraging me towards a greener lifestyle because she is passionate about God's planet. She gives great advice that does not break the budget. For example, she recommends buying a greener product only once your original product has run out. i.e. shampoo (this method gives you time to research products and also does not break your bank because you are going green slowly). The other day, I rode my bike to the post office to purchase some stamps:



I have another friend who has a very similar heart to mine. She sent me a fun recipe for homemade soap (along with a sweet sample jar).
I have had so much fun being a wife today! Here's the recipe:

2 cups grated bar soap (I like the way ivory smells)
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax

This powder detergent is not only cost effective, it is also better for the environment! Yay!
My husband and I are doing little things to make our lifestyles more environmentally friendly.



One thing that has been healthy for me to check is my motivation for living green. I am constantly asking myself, "Am I living green to glorify the Lord and be a good steward of His creation?" or "Am I living green because it is cool to do that in the city I live in and culturally relevant?"
For me, this hip-new-living green is not only a chance to have good stewardship, but also opportunity for constant purification and refinement of my heart.

No comments: